I’ve recently discovered the cupcakes have supernatural powers. They have the power to bring cheer in just about any situation – think dull and rainy days. There’s something just so cheerful about them, so therapeutic you just want to bake them all day and give ’em way to the homeless people on the streets. I didn’t manage to give any because P ate them all in 3 days.
And as I was making them, I thought of my friend back in Malaysia who made excellent cupcakes that she sold in the Sunday flea market to a loyal following 🙂
So, I was hooked on these cuppy cakes that I made two batches – a Chocolate Ganache Vanilla Cupcake and a Lemon Spread Cherry Marble Cupcake.
They are all long names because I keep complicating my recipes – I can’t help it, vanilla cakes are great but they’re boring. Since I do not really have the time to post two recipes, I will post what really matters in this case. And they are the chocolate ganache topping and the Cherry Marble Cupcake – reason being the cherry marble cupcakes are to die for. I love, love, love the surprise in the center, which is a whole pitted cherry sweet and just bursting with juice. These cupcakes were the apple of my eye for the whole time they were around. 😛
For the Chocolate Ganache:
250grams of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup cream
1. Heat cream and butter until the butter dissolves and the mixture starts to boil. Turn off heat immediately and pour the cream into large bowl filled with chocolate chips.
2. Mix until you get a smooth chocolate ganache.
3. Let it cool down until it becomes spreadable.
Cherry Marble Cake:
1.5 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cups of chocolate ganache (take from the recipe above)
1 teaspoon of real vanilla essence (or use one whole pod of vanilla, if you’re feeling decadent – to which I did)
18-24 canned cherries (depending on if you’re doing “quality control” on the cherries…ahem, you might need more cherries.)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a different mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time.
4. Add your vanilla, and combine well.
5. Now, alternately, add 1/3 of your flour and some milk into the butter/eggs mixture until all flour and milk is used up.
6. Halve the batter into another bowl, add the chocolate ganache and stir it in until well combine – do not over mix, just count to 10 folds with your spatula. Or maybe 13 folds at most. Now you have two sets of batter, a chocolate and a plain vanilla.
7. Line your muffin/cupcake tray with cupcake liners and put in 1 tablespoon of batter from each batter and push a cherry into the center.
8 Repeat step 7 until all batter is used up. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Once your cupcakes are cool, spread your favorite topping or use the Chocolate Ganache topping – it would work extremely well. I sprinkled a little rainbow rounds on top of each cupcakes to give it an extra sunshine 😉