As i wrote in my previous post Weekend Cookout, I cooked up a storm with Indian Inspired meals. One of the dished I prepared was Butter Chicken. This chicken curry dish is a very versatile one as you can adjust the spiciness level to your liking. My butter chicken was a very mild one because my guest did not have the tongue for spicy food, unfortunately. It was still a very flavorful curry that packs the punch in the amount of spice.
Here’s the recipe:
4 whole chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons of yogurt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 onion, minced
4 garlic, chopped finely
1 inch of ginger, minced
2 small cans of tomato puree
1 tablespoon chili powder (decrease/increase the amount to your preference)
approx. 1 tablespoon salt to taste
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup of grounded almonds
1/2 cup of yogurt
1/2 cup water
1. Marinate chicken with paprika, salt, pepper and yogurt for 2-3 hours.
2. After 2-3 hours, heat a deep pan with some oil and pan fried the chicken until all sides are browned. Take it off the stove for later use.
3. Use the same pan and the butter. Saute the onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant, approx. 5-8 minutes.
4. Add your garam masala and cumin powder, saute until the powder is well incorporated into a mixture.
5. Now, add the rest of the ingredients in and let the sauce come to a simmer. Stir well and let it cook for about 8 more minutes before adding the chicken pieces in.
6. Let the chicken cook in the butter sauce under a lower simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
The butter chicken goes very well with rice, roti and naans 🙂